Sunday, September 19, 2010

Side-tracked

Does this sound familiar: You have something you know you need to do, like a chore, project or homework. It is right there in front of you. But for some reason, you find yourself doing some other random tasks that suddenly seem very important.

Here is a specific example: You've got to start writing a paper for class. You've been putting it off for awhile, but today your going to get it done. You sit down at your desk. You suddenly realize your desk is a cluttered mess. Because "a cluttered desk is a cluttered mind" you justify cleaning your desk in the name of your class paper. 30 minutes later, you desk is cleaned, your paper is still unwritten and you are ready for a break.

So what exactly is going on in our brains when this happens? Why are we creating a new alternative goal and then choosing the lesser of the two options? Is it a lack of focus, or our sub conscience creating a justifiable excuse for us to stall? Is it A.D.D. or our old pal laziness?

Whatever the answer, this phenomenon ends up costing us time and energy. Sure we've been productive, but we've made no progress toward our original goal. So how do we fix it? We see it for what it is, and we simply don't let it happen. Easier said then done, but the simplest solutions are usually the most effective.

Case in point: Just a few minutes ago I was trying to come up with a topic for this blog. Instead of coming up with a topic, I came up with a reason I needed to vacuum the room. So instead allowing myself to become side-tracked, I made being side-tracked the topic of my blog. (Wrap your minds around that!).


And now, I vacuum...

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jeremy!

    I too am burdened with the disease known as procrastination. In fact the other day I was running a bit late for class, and I too deemed my room in need of a clean. So instead of leaving to only be one min late I decided to clean my entire room making me about six minutes late. I guess it was a fast clean, but the point is that is in no way the first time that has happened. I try to not call it procrastination.. to me it is just being a perfectionist! I don't like to do work when other things are on my mind, I don't think that provides me the best environment to work in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This also happens to me more time than I'd care to admit. Most of the time, the thing I end up doing instead of my actual work is something that I would never normally do. Like organize the clothes in my drawers or alphabatize my books by the authors name. I don't know why I do these things when I have other pressing mattes to attend to, but it's always something that I've done. Maybe now that I'm away at school, I should focus on my schoolwork instead of dusting the dorm furniture. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete